A UK partner visa allows spouses, unmarried or same-sex partners and fiancées of UK citizens or permanent residents to come and live with their family in the UK.
Book a consultation with one of our experienced migration agents to receive personalised advice on the right visa pathway for your situation.
Partner Visa Basic Requirements
To qualify for a Partner visa, applicants must be an eligible partner of a UK citizen or permanent resident who is currently living or who intends to live permanently in the UK.
An eligible partner is a:
- Spouse (husband, wife or civil partner); or
- Unmarried or same-sex partner; or
- Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner.
Partner visa applicants are usually required to be of a minimum age, meet English language, accommodation and maintenance (funds) requirements and demonstrate that their relationship is existing and genuine in nature.
Partner visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.
Partner Visa Entitlements
A Partner visa entitles the holder to come and live in the UK with their partner. A Partner visa is usually granted for an initial probationary period, depending on the type of relationship.
- Spouse: 33 months before applying for further leave to remain for a further 30 months. After 5 years, they can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.
- Unmarried or same-sex partner: 33 months before applying for further leave to remain for a further 30 months. After 5 years, they can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.
- Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner: 6 months during which the applicant must marry or undertake a Civil Partnership Registration with their partner. After the ceremony, an application for a Partner visa as a Spouse can be made. This visa type does not entitle the holder to work in the UK.
Dependant and unmarried children under 18 years of age may be included on the visa application to accompany their parents to the UK.
A Partner visa may lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) which entitles individuals to permanent residency in the UK.
GOVERNMENT FEES AND PROCESSING TIME
|PARTNER VISA||OUTSIDE THE UK (ENTRY CLEARANCE)||INSIDE THE UK (FLR)|
|Government Main Application Fee||£1523||£1033|
|Government Partner Application Fee||£1523||£1033|
|Government Child Application Fee||£1523||£1033|
|Processing Time||12 weeks||1-8 weeks|
* All fees and processing time are obtained from government sources