Change Country:
Family Visas
Migration Expert UK is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced OISC registered migration consultants who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for a UK visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process.
All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the UK Government subject to lodging a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the UK Government and act independent in the interests of our clients.
Registered UK Immigration Consultants MARA Registered Australian Immigration Consultants OISC Registered UK Immigration Consultants ICCRC Registered Canadian Immigration Consultants
UK Family Visas
Do I qualify for

Family Visa?

Spouse / Civil Partner Visa UK

The Spouse/Civil Partner visa is initially granted for a two (2) year probationary period and can lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and British nationality.

If however, the couple have been married or have been in a civil partnership for at least four (4) years prior to lodgement of the application, an application for ILR can be made immediately.

At the time of submitting the visa application, applicants for a Spouse/Civil Partner visa must demonstrate that they are legally married to, or in a Civil Partnership with a partner who is a UK National or permanent resident. This person must be their genuine spouse/partner and the couple must intend to live together in the UK .


Spouse/Civil Partner Visa Basic Requirements

To obtain a Spouse/Civil Partner visa it is necessary for applicants to fulfil the basic prerequisites set out by the UK Immigration Authorities. Regardless of whether the application is made in the UK abroad, or if applicants are applying for an extension (where applicable), the main requirements are similar.

To qualify for an Entry Clearance or Further Leave to Remain application as a Spouse/Civil Partner for a two (2) year probationary period, there are basic requirements that must be met. Both parties must be at least 21 years old, have met and be legally married OR have undergone a civil partnership registration.

Applicants will also need to prove that their relationship is of a genuine and continuing nature.


Spouse/Civil Partner Visa Entitlements

The Spouse/Civil Partner visa is initially granted for a two (2) year probationary period. Visa holders have unrestricted permission to work or study in the UK and can also enter and leave the UK during this period without any further permission.

Upon completion of the two (2) year probationary period, visa holders may be entitled to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Holders of ILR under this category can apply for UK Nationality once they have been living legally in the UK for three (3) years with their spouse/civil partner.


To see a full listing of our fees and services,Spouse/Civil Partner Visa processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.

Other Family Visas
  • Fiancée/Prospective Civil Partner Visa

    The Fiancée/Prospective Civil Partner visa allows the partner of a UK citizen or permanent resident to marry or register a civil partnership in the UK.
  • Unmarried Partner Visa

    The Unmarried Partner Visa allows a committed partner of a UK citizen or permanent resident to settle in the UK.
  • EEA Family Visa

    The EEA Family Visa is specifically for family members of EEA nationals living in the UK to join their family member.
Latest Immigration News
  • An Alternative to the UK Family Migration Route

    Since the court ruled in favour of the Home Office's new minimum income threshold for UK Family Visa's, it has become a mammoth task for many UK citizens to sponsor their non-EU partners or children to stay or join them permanently in the UK. However, there is an alternative option available; The Surinder Singh route. The Surinder Singh Route is a method that can be used to bring your family members into the UK using your rights as an EU member as opposed to a UK Citizen.

  • Changes to UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa Route Announced
    In order to prevent the UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa stream from fraudsters, an announcement of changes to this visa type has been made on July 10, 2014 by the UK's immigration minister James Brokenshire.
  • UK Launches a New Visa for Chinese Mathematics
    The UK’s Home Office has added a new 12 month “mathematics teacher exchange” scheme to the Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) route. This plan is to bring around 60 maths teachers from Shanghai to work in the UK in March.